March 26, 2016

Vegetable Gardening Plan

I'm expanding the vegetable garden for the second year in a row.  Last year I had enough vegetables that I didn't need to buy any from the supermarket during the summer, but I had hardly any to save over winter.  This year I'm planning to plant enough vegetables so that the homestead provides for most of the winter too.  I'll be using no-till and sheet mulching to make the new garden areas as I did last year (described in this POST ).

My septic bed fills most of the non-treed area of my backyard, so I'm expanding into the side yard.  This side of the house gets sunshine for most of the day and is sheltered between mine and the neighbours houses.
Vegetable Garden Plan

My organic gardening plan this year uses extensive inter-planting.  This works well to deter the insects and protects plants from animals.  Critters can't simply move along a row of the same vegetable type in one evening if there's plants mixed in between that the critters don't like.


I'm also going to go one more step further in sustainable gardening by starting to turn over bed number 5 to perennial only vegetables, or plants that reseed themselves easily.  This will be the third year for the artichoke plants, and the second year for asparagus.  I heard at a permaculture presentation in the area that the turnips easily reseed.

For fruit, I have raspberry bushes (some wild), currents and gooseberries.  I have a very sad little pear tree and an apple tree that looks healthy but so far has only produced one apple over the last three years.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the year for lots of apples.

START YOUR OWN HOMESTEAD THIS WEEKEND, BE SELF-SUFFICIENT