March 12, 2016

2016 Seed Sowing Gardening Calendar

I'm located in Eastern Ontario, Canada.  I will start the seeds that need sowing 6-8 weeks before the last frost on, April 1st-4th.  Last year I had success with planting the seeds directly in potting soil, in recycled containers.  I kept them in my dining room and then I would move them into the sunroom during the day if the temperature was going to be warm.  Then when the temperature stops dropping below freezing I keep the seedlings in the sunroom all the time.  This keeps them from getting too tall and spindly.

Seeds I will be sowing indoors on April 1st-4th (6-8 weeks before last frost) and transplanted outdoors on June 4th:

  1. Tomato - Gray' Sweet Cherry
  2. Tomato - Gold Medal 
  3. Herb -  Lovage
  4. Flower - African Marigold
Seeds I will be sowing indoors on May 1st (3-4 weeks before last frost) and planted outdoors on June 4th:
  1. Muskmelon - Tip Top
  2. Cucumber - Tante Alice
  3. Cucumber - Lyaluk
  4. Broccoli
Seeds I will sow indoors on May 21st (2 weeks before planting outdoors) and planted outdoors on June 4th:
  1. Corn - Orchard Baby
Seeds that will be sown directly outdoors in the garden May 28 (after last frost)
  1. Spinach - Strawberry Spinach (outdoor early spring)
  2. Spinach - Monstreux de Viroflay
  3. Beet- Early Blood Turnip outdoor
  4. Carrot - Scarlet Nantes (outdoor)
Seeds that will be sown outdoors in garden June 4 (after last frost): 
  1. Sunflower 'Russian Mammoth (outdoors)
  2. Pea-Amish Snap(outdoor)
  3. Pea  champion of England Woodbridge Strain (outdoor)
  4. Bean - Provider
  5. Bean - Kentucky Wonder Bush

START YOUR OWN HOMESTEAD THIS WEEKEND, BE SELF-SUFFICIENT