August 8, 2015

Garden Bounty

Bee pollinates sunflower
Bee Pollinates Sunflower
The garden is doing great.  The bees are pollinating the sunflowers.  We're planning on giving the sunflower seeds to the chickens for treats.

All those challenges at the beginning of the gardening season are long gone.  I have not bought vegetables from the grocery store in a couple of weeks and it looks like I won't need to for awhile.

I've had a lot of beans, more than we can eat.  I've blanched and frozen about four meals worth and the rest we've been eating fresh.



We've had a few artichokes, carrots, lettuce and beets that we've been eating as we harvest.  I made one batch of salsa.  But most of the tomatoes are still green.

Here's some beets and the broccoli has been great.  We picked off the main head and we have lots of little sprouts growing that we pick regularly.
Heirloom beets
Heirloom Beets

START YOUR OWN HOMESTEAD THIS WEEKEND, BE SELF-SUFFICIENT